Military Student FAQs

Military Student Enrollment FAQs

Can I transfer to SET at any time during the school year?

Yes, you can. Students are allowed to transfer anytime during the school year to SET as long as there is space open.

Do I have to live in a certain school district in order to transfer to SET High is School?

No, SET is a charter school, which means you can enroll in our school no matter where you live. We have students that commute as much as two hours daily just to attend.

How do I start the process for enrollment at SET High?

You can first start by joining us for a tour and visit. 

For incoming freshman: Tours start at SET are Tuesday through Friday starting at 9:00 am. To make an appointment for an incoming freshman tour please contact Ms. Carrie Heath at (858)-874-4338 or by email at tours@sethigh.org

For transfer students: Tours are scheduled by appointment Tuesday through Friday between 8:00 am – 3:00 pm. To make an appointment for a transfer student tour please contact Ms. Carrie Heath at (858)-874-4338 or by email at tours@sethigh.org

Can I also set up a shadow day?

Yes, after your tour and visit, your student is welcome to set up a shadow day with Ms. Heath, who can be reached at (858) 874-4338 or info@sethigh.org. Appointments for shadow days can be made Monday through Friday and start at 8:00 am. On a shadow day, you will be paired up with a current student ambassador from our school. On the morning of your shadow day, a member of our staff will greet you and introduce you to your student ambassador. The shadow day will give you a view of a typical day at SET including breaks, lunch, and student interactions with peers and staff. Please bring a lunch on shadow day.

Do you have a Military Liaison for your School?

Yes, we have a Military Liaison, Mrs. Tammy Begis. She can be reached at Military.Liaison@sethigh.org. Mrs. Begis has three children that attend school at SET. She is a military wife of 17 years and has been involved in the Ombudsman program for 4 different  commands. She has also volunteered with Navy Relief. Please feel free to contact her with any questions you have about SET and your families needs for military resources.

Before I enroll will I be able to talk to parents whose students attend SET High School?

Yes, absolutely, after your tour and/or shadow day, we can put you in touch with parents whose students attend SET so you can get to know our community.

How do I Enroll?

To enroll at SET, please fill out the enrollment form. Our administration will follow up by email or phone to confirm your enrollment. Once you receive confirmation, you can inform your current school that you will be switching to SET. Our Registrar, Ms. Carrie Heath, will contact you to set up an appointment to create a class schedule so you can start the next day. At that appointment, please bring in a copy of your birth certificate, immunization records, and proof of current address (rental agreement, orders, or temporary housing assignment). If you have a copy of your transcript, exit grades, and attendance records please bring those as well.

What if I have an IEP or 504 plan?

Please bring a copy of your IEP or 504 plan to your appointment with the Registrar. The Director of Special Education for IEP plans or the 504 Plan Coordinator will contact you to set up an appointment to discuss accommodations and support.

What’s it like attending a small school?

SET is similar to a private school, with small class sizes and individualized academic support for all learners, but is a tuition-free public school. The student teacher ratio is 12 to 1 in core classes.

What about my grades from my current school?

Each student enrolling in SET will need to receive exit grades from their current school, even if you join mid-term. Your grades do transfer over and will help determine where to place you. SET’s teachers will use those exit grades along with future grades to determine your final grade in the class. We also have a new “Fresh Start” semester which allows students to reset their grades and begin the year like a new student (see section on “I am failing classes”).

Will all of the grades for classes that I have already taken transfer to SET?

Yes, we give you credit for all of the classes that you have on your current transcript. If you have any questions, please contact our Registrar, Carrie Heath at info@sethigh.org. In addition, our 4×4 block schedule allows for the accommodation from out of state transfers to meet the University of California A-G Graduation Requirements.

I have straight A’s right now, will I lose my current grades?

No. First of all, congratulations on having straight A’s! Your A’s will transfer over and all future grades will be determined by how you perform in classes.

What is SET’s Block Schedule?

SET’s block schedule allows you to take 8 classes in a year instead of 5. This allows students to take more electives that interest them, take college courses for free during their senior year to earn college credit, to catch up if they are behind, retake classes if credit was not earned and gives more flexibility in their schedule for internships.

I am failing classes, can I still switch?

Yes, assuming that you are still on track for graduation. Our 4×4 block schedule allows students to retake classes almost immediately so you can receive credit. For example, if you are failing English 9, switching to SET will allow you to retake all of English 9 starting at the start of the new semester, in January. You get a full year’s credit in one semester and be caught up in class credit! Our team is known for successfully providing tutoring and academic coaching for all our students.

What if my student needs family leave for military reasons?

SET will work with your family’s military schedule. You can contact the Attendance Clerk. Mrs. Hines, at info@sethigh.org to secure an Independent Study Contract and find out more information. Independent Study Contracts require at least twenty four hours notice before a leave of absence. Short term contracts can be granted for 1-5 days at a time, and long term contracts for a period of 5-21 days twice a year. Contracts must be signed by both the student and parent. All work during that absence must be completed and turned into each teacher upon return.

What kind of support do you have at SET for military families?

Our Administration and staff possess a deep sense of commitment to your student’s success. Your student will also have access to our team of Education Specialists, a full time School Psychologist, a Military Parent Liaison, and staff who are Veterans and dependents of active duty military.  SET also has a Military Student Support Club that is run by our faculty advisor who is Military Impacted School Association (MISA) certified. 

What sports are available at SET?

The following sports are available for both boys and girls: Volleyball, Basketball, Track and Field, Cross Country, Golf and Bowling. All students must be academically eligible and in good standing with their prior school to participate in a sport.

If your school does not have a sport that I want to play, then can I still play on the team at my prior school or join a team at my local school?

No, under CIF rules, you cannot continue to play team sports at your prior school or join a sports team at your local school, even if we do not have that sport.  However, if you are interested in participating in an individual sport (swim, drive, crew or tennis) that we do not have at SET, our Athletic Director may be able to make arrangements with one of the local charter schools to participate in their programs, while still representing SET.

How successful is SET at helping students get into college?

We believe that each of our students must take personal ownership of the life they desire beyond SET, fully supported by the Ready, SET, College team and families. We invest significant time and passion into our students to help them build their unique mold and identify a university most suitable for their journey of growth. We are here to coach, guide, advocate, and catalyze the college-planning process on an individualized basis, leaving behind the one-size-fits-all approach. We believe that getting SET for college is a four-year process that begins freshman year and is reinforced every step along the way. The Ready, SET, College team empowers students with course selection throughout their time at SET, helps research college options, and provides input and guidance on the completion and submission of applications and financial forms. Our goal is to help our students realize their dreams and gain acceptance to the school that will help them grow and achieve greatness beyond their life at SET.  Whether they choose a highly competitive university, a music-repertory school, or college for the visual and performing arts, our students have our belief in them and our promise to invest in them to maximize their potential.

What is Coleman Tech Charter High School?

Coleman Tech was the name of our school when it was first founded in 2010.  In 2016, under new leadership, we changed the name to The School for Entrepreneurship & Technology to best reflect the mission that an entrepreneurship-based education harnesses the passions of students, motivating students to achieve at the highest level.

How will I know if SET High School is the right school for me?

Ask yourself what are you looking for in a school? Bring those reasons with you on your visit and discover if our school is right for you.  High school is an important step in helping you to discover your passion. SET’s mission is to help students do just that and succeed. When you leave here you should be able to think critically, have the tools to pursue your own business venture or enroll in college to further discover who you want to become. Whatever your passion, SET will support you.