28 Apr Seniors Leave Their Legacy – Amendments to the Constitution
At The School for Entrepreneurship and Technology (SET High) we pride ourselves on enabling the next generation of change-makers, innovators, and mindful citizens. Part of this enablement, in our free public high school in San Diego, involves encouraging seniors to leave their legacy behind for the upcoming classes, improving SET High with every graduating class.
Much like the US Constitution, the SET High Constitution was created to be a long-standing document, open to regular amendments. Where the US Constitution serves every American citizen, SET High’s Constitution is designed to serve our students for generations to come.
For example, the US constitution opens with, “We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, ensure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”
The SET High Constitution starts this way:
We the Seniors of SET High, in order to form a more perfect high school, establish effective leadership, insure tenacity and grit prevail, provide opportunity in uncertainty, promote passionate performance, and secure social responsibility to ourselves and those seniors that follow, do ordain and establish this Constitution for The School for Entrepreneurship and Technology.
Our constitution is more of a concise statement about “The SET Way” rather than a detailed operation manual for the school:
At SET, this we believe:
- That every individual has the capacity to learn and to make a positive meaningful impact on society.
- That every individual has a passion that is often untapped and can provide a source of confidence and inspiration throughout life.
- That learning and excellence comes in many forms and that there is not one correct or ideal kind of achievement that all should be measured against.
- That every individual has unique talents that should be celebrated.
- That there is no one intelligence, beauty, athletic ability, religion, race, ethnicity, body type, learning style, sexual orientation, or gender expression that all should be measured against.
At SET, to this we adhere:
- Embrace individuality and uniqueness
- Celebrate constant improvement
- Expect, allow and accept failure
- Provide students with the inner strength to accept themselves for who they truly are
The US Constitution has been in use since 1789 and amended only 27 times. The SET High Constitution originated in 2021 and so far has been amended once with the following from the Class of ‘22:
We, the class of 2022, amend this constitution to require that there be an annual inter-grade skills competition to be held during school hours to determine which grade is the most skilled in terms of athletics, e-sports, and problem solving. The challenges will be determined by a panel of students and teachers.
Who knows what legacy you will leave behind? Are you looking for a meaningful education that makes a positive impact on others? We’re always looking to motivate and inspire the next dream chasers and business leaders in our school, where passion fuels learning. Enroll with us tuition-free grades 9-12 today!
About SET High
SET High offers each student individual attention from multi-talented, highly qualified teachers. Students build a healthy camaraderie with classmates inside an intellectually rigorous environment that brings out their talents and personality, helping them develop their individual character and direction in life. With a wide variety of electives, flexible scheduling, dual enrollment college classes and more — our students regularly exceed their academic and personal expectations. Enrolling now!